Friday, April 11, 2014

Feature Friday: Student Government Day Representatives Patrick Carey and Lindsay Doyle

Thank you Patrick, Lindsay and Mr. Kevin Connors
 for representing us so well at this event.

Over the course of a student's four years at Nipmuc, there are many different opportunities to participate in student leadership. Our school is fortunate to benefit from a strong tradition of student leadership including elected officers, student council, elected boards for clubs and activities, and captains of our athletic teams. This week, I am excited to celebrate the leadership demonstrated by two of our junior students - Patrick Carey and Lindsay Doyle. One week ago Patrick and Lindsay traveled with history teacher Kevin Connors to the State House in Boston to represent Nipmuc for Student Government Day. Student Government Day is an annual event that allows high school students to work with our elected officials, participate in the process of debating and passing a bill, and experience first-hand the type of work undertaken by our state congressmen and senators. Patrick and Lindsay answered a few questions about this awesome experience and how it impacted them.

Lindsay Doyle:
How did you become interested in Student Government Day?  Over the past few years I have been actively involved with many of Nipmuc's student government programs and love to get involved around the school. I am always looking for opportunities to expand my leadership skills and this was the perfect opportunity. Not only was I going to further my understanding of leadership and student government, but also be exposed to how our government works and how to voice my own opinion within the community and state.
What was the most memorable part of Student Government Day?  The most memorable part of Student Government Day was probably sitting in the House Chambers. Each student that participated in student government day was appointed a senate or house representative position and was split up into the senate and house chambers respectively after the mock public hearing. I was Representative Carl Sciortino. As Rep. Sciortino I was directed to his desk in the House Chambers. Being at his actual desk, discussing and voting on actual bills was by far one of the best experiences of the day.

What part of the experience taught you most about the way our state government works?  The whole day was full of experiences which taught me about the way our state government works, there is not one part that stands out more than another. Being able to understand how government works on both the public and rep. level by participating in mock hearings and voting sessions was the best learning experience. Going into this, I didn't know how much of our state government worked, so having a hands-on experience was amazing. Hearing students from all around the state voice their opinions on real life problems, such as cell phone usage in motor vehicles and mandatory physical education in schools k-12, was life changing. The mock sessions being held were almost a glimpse into the future, you could see the future of the state government and all the students who would make a difference all in one room. By hearing other students speak I was able to understand that voicing my opinion isn't bothersome to others, but a way to benefit the world around me. Student Government Day as a whole drastically furthered my understanding of our state government.

Patrick Carey:
What was the most memorable part of Student Government Day?   What part of the experience taught you most about governmental leadership?  I believe the most memorable part of Student Government Day for me was hearing how well articulated both sides of the debates were. The House debated two bills which both affected kids and it was incredible to see how insightful and intelligent the arguments were from both sides. This ties into the what the day taught me about student government. The process of debating and passing a resolution on just two bills took us more than 2 hours. Considering that this process was expedited to ensure that we did not run late, which we did anyways, it is incredible to imagine how people do this on a daily basis. Ensuring that everyone has a voice is a noble cause but it certainly does not make for quick decisions. This was the most interesting thing to me, seeing democracy in action and participating in it, made for an incredible experience.

How did you become interested in Student Government Day?   My first involvement with civics came when I was appointed to Senator Moore's Youth Advisory Council. I met Senator Moore at a business expo and had a conversation with him about how he first became involved in politics, he then informed me of the council he was forming and said that I would be a great candidate and I should apply. I fell in love with civics after being but on the council and participating in the meetings. The group consists of students from schools across Senator Moore's district and we meet to discuss bills that affect teens. Most kids wouldn't find giving up 4 hours on a Saturday to talk about policy fun but it's something I look forward to at every meeting. From the council it made sense that I would apply for student government day.





No comments:

Post a Comment