Friday, March 27, 2015

Student Feature Friday: High Flyer JR Bravo

JR Bravo getting ready for his first flight. 
In each of my Feature Friday posts, I have the opportunity to highlight students whose accomplishments distinguish them from their peers in some exceptional way. Today's featured student has literally risen above his fellow Nipmuc students. Junior JR Bravo is a young man with many interests - from getting certified as a ski patrolman to spending his quiet summer days on a fishing boat; however, it is JR's interest and passion for flying that has charted his course for the future. JR has begun the process of becoming a licensed pilot. I spent some time with him this week to learn about his interest in flying and what it feels like to be in control of a plane. 

Q: How did you become interested in flying? 
A: When I was younger I had the chance to fly in a plane. I thought it was exciting so about ten years ago my parents bought me a flight simulator game and it has become one of my favorite things to do. I can fly while still enjoying the comforts of home. 

Q: What was your first experience flying your own plane? 
A: Over the summer of 2014 I took my introductory flight. When I finally went up there and realized how free and how great it was to be flying, I realized that this is what I am meant to do for a living. It's my calling. 



Q: What does it feel like when you are flying? 
A: Like nothing can stop you. You look down at the world from five or six thousand feet and think, "Wow - My problems are down there, my life is down there...up here I'm free." There's nothing like it. 

Q: What's your most memorable moment from when you were flying? 
A: My most memorable moment from flying was getting off the ground for the first time. You get that roller coaster feeling...you literally feel yourself lift up. However, in a small plane you feel yourself lift up even that much faster. It felt like a roller coaster but then then you remember that the feeling is actually you flying your own plane. When I lifted off the ground I knew what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Being in a smaller plane is not the same as being in a regular airliner. You can see everything. I could see the ocean. I could see Mt. Washington. I was really high up and it felt great. 

Q: What are your future plans for flying? 
A: I really want to be a corporate pilot. When you're a corporate pilot you have a little more freedom than when you're a commercial pilot.

Thank you for the interview, JR. We know you'll continue to be a high-flyer!





No comments:

Post a Comment