Friday, March 6, 2015

Student Feature Friday - Boston Globe Scholastic Art Awards

This week I am excited to feature some of our outstanding student artists and their recognition by The Boston Globe Scholastic Art Awards. If you've had the chance to view the art displayed in our lobby and hallways, then you know Nipmuc has a proud tradition of excellence in the arts. I'm excited to feature these students and their impressive work. Congratulations Kristen, Kyle, Justin, Stephanie, and Somaiya!

"My Brother" by Kristen Denson
Kristen Denson
Q: What types of art do you most like to create?
A: I love to work with three dimensional mediums to make all sorts of sculptures. Recently I have created an abstracted piece out of Plaster of Paris, a piece inspired by Louise Nevelson, and a crown entirely out of shells. I also love painting using acrylic paint and have recently been using the impasto technique, which I really enjoy.


Q:  What is your favorite piece of art?
A:  My favorite piece of my own art is a batik of two elephants that I made my sophomore year. I like this piece the best because I had a lot of fun making it.

Q:  Tell us about the piece that received the award.
A:  The piece that received the award is the 3 faces project that I was assigned for AP Art. The subject of the piece is my 10 year old brother Sam, and I drew him in colored pencil making three different expressions. I abstracted the color scheme which is my favorite part because I think that it makes it more interesting and unexpected.


"Nuclear Shark" by Kyle Jankauskas
Kyle Jankauskas
Q: What types of art do you most like to create?
A:  I enjoy drawing from observation and creating a realistic look to what I am trying to perceive.


Q:  What is your favorite piece of art?
A: My favorite piece of art was my monochromatic from junior year, because it highlighted the different values or shades a color can hold.


Q:  Tell us about the piece that received the award.
A:  It is called a transformation, made with both regular and colored pencils. The piece was just the first idea that I came up with when I was told about the project. It took me a few classes to draw the figure and color it in full.

"Tiger" by Justin Phipps
Justin Phipps
Q: What types of art do you most like to create?
A:  The types of art I most like to create are graphite and/or colored pencil drawings.


Q:  What is your favorite piece of art?
A:  My favorite piece of art I own currently is an acrylic painting of a hummingbird I did last year. It is my favorite because that piece was the first time I worked with acrylics and I was not expecting the final product to come out as well as it did.


Q:  Tell us about the piece that received the award.
A:  The piece I received the award for was a tiger batik, that took approximately 24 hours. The part I most liked about the project is the process; at times it may have felt tedious but really was a great exercise in patience.


"View from the Third Floor" by Stephanie Poly
Stephanie Poly
Q: What types of art do you most like to create?
A:  As I continue to work with different mediums, I fall in love with new ways to make art. Recently I worked with Conté crayon for the first time to draw the human figure and found that I deeply enjoyed the entire process and the end product. Currently, however, I am getting back into painting which I must say is my favorite and most relaxing pastime.


Q:  What is your favorite piece of art?
A: My favorite piece of artwork thus far has to be the painting I created last year which was inspired by the style of Franz Marc. I have always loved painting but until last year I had never skewed from realism. The Franz Marc painting had me working with abstract colors and shapes for the first time. It was something new I had tried and loved.


Q:  Tell us about the piece that received the award.
A:  The piece I submitted was an 18x24 inch architectural pencil drawing looking down from the third floor of the school, through the window. The piece was very detailed and tedious to create but nevertheless I stuck with it. I am not entirely sure how long the piece took me to complete, I only know that when I started it there were leaves on the trees and by the end of its completion the leaves had fallen off. I dedicated a lot of my time to the drawing and am very pleased with the results.


"We're Not All Superman" by Somaiya Rowland
Somayia Rowland
Q: What types of art do you most like to create?
A:  I love to create art that makes you think. I want my art to evoke feelings and emotions in the viewer, or to simply awe them. I mostly draw, but I also sculpt, paint, collage, and do digital art. It’s important to have a variety of skills as an artist and to build a powerful portfolio.


Q:  Tell us about the piece that received the award.
A:  The piece I created was called "We're Not All Superman." I wanted to use the iconic superhero pose, a man holding his shirt open, and replace the insignia with the human body. I chose to take away the skin and leave only bones and organs to show that all people, superman or not, are the same inside. I wanted the piece to make people think, and allow them to find their own meaning in it, so I left it slightly ambiguous.


No comments:

Post a Comment