Friday, April 1, 2016

Student Feature Friday: Senior Madison Lynnworth - Competetive Bodybuilder

The high school years provide an opportunity for students to pursue their interests and identify the activities that drive them. In ideal circumstances these interests not only determine students' paths but also allow them to make a positive impact on those around them. In this week's feature I am thrilled to highlight a student who has found her passion and is using that focus to make a difference in her life and the lives of others. 

Senior Madison Lynnworth found her focus and passion through competitive bodybuilding. This week I had the chance to speak with her about her diet, training, and commitment to the sport. I was impressed with her knowledge, enthusiasm, and dedication. In addition, I was excited to hear about her plans to meet with students at Miscoe Hill to share the positive impact that bodybuilding and a focus on wellness has made in her life.

I was so thankful for my conversation with Madison. You can enjoy some highlights of our discussion below. 

Q:  How did you become interested in fitness and bodybuilding? 
A:  I became interested in bodybuilding about 9 months ago. I had been eating well and exercising for about a year and a half prior to that, but only doing cardio-aerobic classes. This past summer, I met my boyfriend who introduced me to bodybuilding and taught me about how fun lifting can be.  I immediately fell in love with “leg day” as my legs were strong from volleyball, and begrudgingly worked my upper body until it was equally strong.

Q:  What are some of the greatest challenges and rewards of being a competitive bodybuilder? 
A:   As a competitive bodybuilder the biggest challenge is dedication. With everything I do, from what time I eat to how much I drink to how hard I push myself in the gym - it all affects how I do on competition day. Every second I'm faced with temptation and tired eyes, but I can't give in.  Off season the biggest challenge is pushing myself to grow, while controlling my diet so I don't grow the wrong way! With these challenges come the greatest possible rewards though. I have learned how strong I am and how tough I am, both of which will help me in future challenging times. I have a fantastic body image now, and thanks to bodybuilding I am happy when I look in the mirror. I feel empowered and want to help others feel this way too.

Q:  How did you become interested in sharing your perspective on health and wellness with middle school students? 
A:  I met with Mr. McInnis at Miscoe a few weeks ago and he sensed my passion about the industry as did you. He loved the way I saw health and fitness as not only this overwhelming dedication, but also as simple choices that build up to create a happier more tranquil self. He and I agree that showing the kids who are about to enter a big phase in their lives how to be healthy and feel self-positive is vital to their success.

Q:  What do you hope to accomplish through your work with students at Miscoe? 

A:  I hope that I can get across to them the message of how easy health is. I want them to learn to associate simple choices like wheat bread over a bagel.  I also hope that they actually are moved by it, in the sense that they do not just tolerate the seminar and then forget it. I want to impact them so they have tools to develop good habits now, so they can have health as a support system constructed within themselves when they're in high school and beyond.



No comments:

Post a Comment