Friday, April 8, 2016

Student Feature Friday - Sarah Bloznalis & Patrick Donelan attend Student Government Day

History Teacher Brian Moloney with
 Juniors Patrick Donelan and Sarah Bloznalis
In this week's feature, I'm excited to highlight the experience of Nipmuc juniors Sarah Bloznalis and Patrick Donelan who had the chance to visit the State House to participate in Massachusetts Student Government Day. Joined by history teacher, Mr. Brian Moloney, the students met with elected officials, voted on several proposed bills, and saw first-hand how government works. Student Government Day provides a unique chance to learn about civic engagement and the leadership skills needed to make a difference. I was thrilled to meet with Sarah and Patrick to hear about their experience and how they represented our school at this event. 

Sarah Bloznalis
Q: How did you become interested in Student Government Day? 
A:  I am the president of my class so I first started getting a feel for politics this year. I also really enjoy debating in history class so my teacher suggested me for Student Government Day.

Q: What type of insight did Student Government Day provide you about leadership and civic engagement? 
A: Student Government Day gave me a new respect for government and definitely got me more interested in getting involved with politics. When the Lieutenant Governor spoke she made me realize that anyone can get involved in politics and make a difference.

Q: What will be your most lasting memory about Student Government Day? 
A: Sitting in House Representative Decker's seat in the House Chamber was an experience I will never forget. I got to vote on two bills and use an electronic voting system which I have never done before.


Patrick Donelan
Q: How did you become interested in Student Government Day? 
A: I became interested in Student Government Day immediately after Mr. Moloney explained it to me. I knew very little about politics so I was very interested to learn more about how the state government functions.

Q: What type of insight did Student Government Day provide you about leadership and civic engagement? 
A: Student Government Day showed me that many of our leaders have worked hard to reach where they are today. Many started their political career in high school when they ran for class officer positions. Maybe someday I will see one of my class' officers campaigning for state representative!

Q: What will be your most lasting memory about Student Government Day? 

A: My most lasting memory from Student Government Day will definitely be the debates and testimonies. I really enjoyed listening to the different perspectives on the bills and watching the final voting processes via the LED board.

No comments:

Post a Comment