Friday, April 15, 2016

Student Feature Friday - Art All-State Participant Daisy Prescott


Junior Daisy Prescott
On Friday, June 12 some of the best student artists in Massachusetts will be meeting on the campus of the University of Massachusetts - Dartmouth to celebrate the annual Art All-State event. I am excited to announce that Nipmuc junior Daisy Prescott will represent our school as a 2016 Art All-State recipient. Over the course of the two-day event, Daisy will work with other student artists, a team of artist mentors, and local artists as they build a collaborative art installation on the theme of "No Limits".

In receiving this honor, Daisy submitted a portfolio of work and was interviewed by representatives from the Massachusetts Art Education Association who talked to her about her work and interests. In selecting Daisy for this honor, they have chosen a student who is bright, talented, articulate, and creative. I'm thrilled that she'll represent our school and the Nipmuc art department at this event.

For today's feature, I had the chance to meet with Daisy and ask her about this upcoming experience and share some of her impressive art work.

Q: What do you think is your greatest strength as an artist? 

A:  As an artist, my greatest strength would have to be the fact that I can take criticism well. In art it's important to be able to handle criticism because it's one of the things that helps you grow and flourish as an artist. It helps your art look very nice knowing what someone else thinks, and you can even learn something new. In my experience, I've definitely learned how to draw a thing or two because someone suggested I try it a different way.


Q: How has your art evolved/grown during your years at Nipmuc? 

A: My art has evolved in a variety of ways at Nipmuc. Besides learning the basic rules of art like complimentary colors and how to use them, my art style has slowly adopted different characteristics from other artists, mashing them with my own to make an even more unique style. When I was in middle school I was so focused on getting my art to look like everyone else's without realizing that's not how art works. In high school, I've come to learn what methods work best for me and what I'm working on.


Q: What are you most excited about when considering the opportunity to participate in Art All-State 2016? 
A: The whole matter of participating in Art All-State is very exciting to me, but if I had to pick what I was most excited for, it would be getting the chance to work with new artists and make new friends. I love meeting new people, especially people with common interests. I'm hoping to learn a lot from the others and maybe even teach them a thing or two. I hope to make a few friends to stay in contact with after All-State is over. When I come home, I hope to have all new methods under my wing, and I hope that a couple other people will go home with my own methods. I'm also rather excited for the t-shirt we get!



No comments:

Post a Comment