Friday, March 11, 2016

Student Feature Friday: Junior Jill Carey Runs for MASC President

"The PossiJILLities are Endless"
Each year as freshmen begin their high school career, I share the same message: "Get involved. Become part of a group. Take on a leadership role." High school is about so much more than academics. As our kids get involved in student life at the school, they get connected to the community, find their passions, and develop skills that will serve them in their lives beyond the classroom. 

This week I'm excited to feature a student who has taken this advice to heart by embracing scholastic leadership opportunities. Junior Jillian Carey is building off her experience as Central District Massachusetts Association of Student Councils (CDMASC) Vice President as she makes a run for president of the Commonwealth's student councils. 

Jillian is a talented leader who made many contributions to Nipmuc and student councils across the state. I had the chance to hear from her about running for this important elected office. I quickly learned that - as her campaign slogan states - "The Possi-Jill-ities are endless." 

Q: What are your main reasons for running for MASC President?
A: I'm running for MASC President because I believe that when you find something you are passionate about, you should pursue it to the greatest extent.  Student Council and MASC have been my passion since I went to my first conference as a freshman.

Q: What type of leadership experience did you gain through your role as CDMASC vice president? 
A: Serving as the Vice President of CDMASC has taught me so much about being on an executive board.  I have learned how to work with leaders from different schools as one unit. I have seen how quickly a year passes and how effectively you must work to fulfill the possibilities you imagine at the beginning of the year.

Q: What has been the most valuable part of being a member of student council? 
A: The most valuable part of being on student council is learning how to make an impact on the community around you. From planning school dances to community service projects, it's truly amazing to make a difference.

Q: Should you be elected, what would you like to accomplish as MASC president?
A: If elected, I hope to continue the growth of MASC as a small but mighty state.  While the conferences are everyone's favorite part, I want to focus on what we do even when we aren't together.  Even if we aren't in the same place we can still be working towards the same goal.



No comments:

Post a Comment