Friday, September 25, 2015

Student Feature Friday - Opwall Group travels to Dominica

"This trip affected me greatly, for it made me see my whole life from a different perspective."-Nipmuc Junior Dean Sheehan
In my last Feature Friday post of the previous school year, I had the chance to share upcoming adventure of several Nipmuc Regional students who would participate in a school trip to Dominica to conduct two weeks of studying ecology through field research and learning. Accompanied by faculty member Jen Field, our students began their journey at the end of June, spending one week at the rainforest research center and one week studying the ecology of ocean reefs.

The trip started slowly with out students spending more time in airports than they expected (or hoped!). Nevertheless, in speaking with them about their experiences, it's clear that their trip has made a lasting impact on their life, learning, and relationships. I'm happy to share their experiences with you this afternoon.

Travelers: Sam Broe, Kyle Bernero, Alex Jayyosi, Charlotte Burlingame,  Dean Sheehan
Kyle Bernero
Q. What was the most memorable part of your trip?
A. The most memorable part of my trip to Dominica was the week of snorkeling. During this one week of snorkeling, I was exposed to many underwater sites and nature that I never knew existed! Some of the marine life we saw included fire coral, lion fish, sea urchins, barracudas, dolphins, octopus and so much more that I had never seen before. We were very fortunate to even see a sea turtle, currently considered close to being an extinct species on the island. The wildlife and snorkeling sites that I witnessed will never be forgotten.

Q. How did the experiences of this trip impact you? 
A. The experiences of the trip made me become more interested in the field of ecology and taught me that science isn't just about measuring and recording data, but about going out and understanding how everything works. The trip also impacted me by giving me world experience. While on the trip, I was exposed to countless number of people, all with different characters. However, I wasn't just introduced to the people at the research center, I was also introduced to the locals. As we drove down the wavy roads, there always seemed to be neighbors outside of their house waving at us as we passed by. The island seemed to be filled with character and joy. Even at the Extreme Dominica rappelling tour there were dozens of cheerful locals guiding us through the mountainous and rocky canyons along the tour. This trip was amazing and impacted me in multiple ways. However, due to the recent tropical storm Erika, it unfortunately turned the island of Dominica into chaos, resulting in mudslides, floods, and more ensuing on the island. The president of Dominica, Charles Savarin, said that this storm would cost Dominica to be set back 20 years, which is terrifying to think about. I hope that relief and help are sent to Dominica and that we can help Dominica make a quicker come back to save its precious wildlife and forests.

Sam Broe 
Q. What was the most memorable part of your trip?
A. In my opinion the most memorable part of the trip was taking a short hike through the jungle and then a dip in the Emerald Pools. I've never been somewhere so serene and beautiful in my entire life.

Q. How did the experiences of this trip impact you?
A. The most impactful part of my trip was by far the research we did in the first week. It was engaging and interesting and one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had.

Charlotte Burlingame 
Q. What was the most memorable part of your trip?
A. Because the wildlife and landscape in Dominica are so different from that in New England, the plants, animals, and geography I saw there were definitely the most memorable parts of the trip.

Q. How did the experiences of this trip impact you? 
A. The OpWall trip impacted my interest in science, the value I hold in the environment, the knowledge I have in ecology, my relationship with my teacher and peers, and my worldly experience as a student. I had the time of my life on this trip and doubt that any other experience will be the same.

Dean Sheehan 
Q. How did the experiences of this trip impact you? 
A. I'd have to say that the most memorable part of my trip was the time I spent scuba diving near Cabrits, for this allowed me to see a whole other community that plays a large role in our lives, but is rarely thought of in day to day life.
Q. How did the experiences of this trip impact you? 
A. This trip affected me greatly, for it made me see my whole life from a different perspective. Before I went to Dominica, I was completely unaware of the many important issues that are rarely addressed here in Massachusetts. For example, the lion fish, a fish with venomous spines whose original habitat was around the northern coast of Australia and the southeastern coast of Asia, was introduced to the Caribbean in the 90s. In the small amount of time from their introduction to today, the lion fish population has increased at an alarming rate, resulting in the destruction of many underwater communities and the introduction of the lion fish as far north as Massachusetts. If I hadn't travelled to Dominica, I would have never known about this ecological issue or the many others being faced elsewhere in the world.
You can read more about their adventure on their trip blog: Nipmuc OpWall Adventure 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment