Friday, September 18, 2015

Student Feature Friday - Nipmuc's Student Leaders Meet Senator Fattman

Earlier today Nipmuc welcomed Senator Ryan Fattman to our school to meet with student leaders and learn about our school. Mrs. Moran and I enjoyed spending time with the senator, discussing key issues related to education and sharing our Nipmuc pride. The highlight of the day was a lunch conversation between the senator and many of our student leaders. The discussion provided insight on the senator's own journey to leadership and the importance of community involvement. We're very thankful for the senator's candid conversation, his generosity with his time, and the opportunity to introduce him to Nipmuc.

The following question was asked of the student leaders who met with Senator Fattman today:
Q. What is your biggest takeaway from today's meeting with Senator Fattman?
Christopher Bechara - Class of 2016 Class President - Senator Fattman was one of the coolest people I've ever listened to. Such an amazing and well-rounded person. I believe the biggest takeaway from today's meeting was definitely the point that college students spend too much money going to a college they feel that they need to attend. Senator Fattman made it very clear that there is nothing wrong with a community college experience. Amazing person - glad I met him.
Sarah Bloznalis - Class of 2017 Class President - Talking to Senator Fattman today was a great experience. It was interesting to see that he was just a regular young guy, doing his best to make a difference in his community. It shed a light on the fact that no matter your situation and how you grow up, you can always make something of yourself if you work hard.
Jillian Carey - Central District of MA Student Councils (CDMASC) Vice President - I found it extremely inspiring to hear from someone who got a start at a very young age comparatively to the rest of those in politics. I was able to not only relate to him but also look at my own course and see how possible it is to make a difference.
Mario Cicconi - Senator Fattman's Youth Council - My biggest takeaway form today's meeting is no matter how old you are or where you're from a lot of great things can be achieved through hard work and keeping a positive attitude.
Isabelle DesRoches - Nipmuc Student Council President - My biggest takeaway from the meeting with Senator Fattman is the importance of being an informed voter and citizen.  He stressed the importance of our vote as millennials and how we can influence government at the local level from a young age.  Additionally, Senator Fattman opened my eyes to the views of both political parties.  I will be sure to research the views and values of all candidates before voting once I am of age.
Preston Dougherty - Class of 2019 Class President - My biggest takeaway from this is that everyone should have a good knowledge about politics. I think the things he said, the experiences he had with politics - everyone should experience someday. Also, I loved when he brought up the student bills. I think everyone should hear what he's saying and what he would have done about going to college.
Cameron Dunning - Class of 2018 Treasurer - Today's meeting with Senator Fattman was very beneficial and there were so many takeaways you could embrace. One major takeaway from today's meeting I felt was learning how to be a leader and with that you must always stay positive through everything to be successful. Being positive will always result in success, if it is complete social success, or a self achieved success. I'm very grateful to have the chance to meet the Senator and absorb his wisdom.
Sean Kelleher - Nipmuc Student Council - My biggest takeaway from today's meeting with the Senator is my involvement of student leadership and that everything my fellow student leaders and I do in life has an impact on the future. When I listened to the Senator talk about his journey from being a small town kid to being a young selectman to finally be the youngest memeber in Senate shows how the younger generations can make a strong impact is. He said that "this generation needs to step up to the plate", and that really made me think that my work now will be able shape the future for the better.
Jillian Penfield - Nipmuc Student Council - My biggest takeaway from today's meeting was to always stay positive. Senator Fattman went door to door campaigning and when asked about the opposing candidate he never spoke negatively about him. I just learned that you don't need to put people down in order to bring yourself up. Senator Fattman won the love of voters through positivity, and this outlook needs to be spread throughout our country.
Rebecca Pfeiffer - Senator Fattman's Youth Council - My biggest takeaway from the meeting was how many sacrifices and decisions go into taking a state position. Senator Fattman talked to us about how he made choices for college, and being able to plan ahead for what you would like to accomplish. I have a better understanding of what role state officials play in our towns and society.
Ashley Round - Class of 2018 President - With all of the important lessons I've learned today meeting Senator Fattman, my biggest takeaway was learning staying positive makes a difference. He put staying positive into perspective for me. Through all the hard times and tough decisions he had to make throughout his life and career, staying positive helped him. He talked about how his attitude made him stand out from everyone else. It helped his self confidence and kept him going. I am very thankful that I had the chance to meet and talk with him and take something from this experience.
Carly Thibodeau - Nipmuc Student-Athlete - First, it was such an honor to have taken some of Senator Fattman's time, knowing from his discussion how busy his schedule is and how many other seemingly more important things he has to attend than to meeting with kids in high school. My biggest takeaway was that age doesn't determine what you can do when - as the youngest Senator, Fattman is proof of that. What matters is how you approach things in obstacles in life, and you should always come at them with positivity and belief in what YOU can do, rather than what others can do better.
Kelsey Woods - National Honor Society President - Honestly, it was what a great speaker he was. This could just be how Mr. Clements has drilled the AP English curriculum into my head, but the way he would blend statistics and passion for his family and career was amazing. I also loved how he didn't box himself into a political party, but leaned depending on the issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment