Friday, February 6, 2015

Feature Friday: National Signing Day at Nipmuc Regional

(l-r) Jenna Fitzgerald, Erika Scott, and Gaby Carreiro
display their letters of intent. 
On Wednesday, elite high school student-athletes from across the country celebrated National Signing Day – the first official opportunity for a student to formally commit to a college or university. Nipmuc joined in the celebration with an event to honor three members of the state championship girls’ soccer team. Seniors Gabriella Carreiro, Jenna Fitzgerald, and Erika Scott gathered with friends and family as they took the next step in their scholastic and athletic career. Across the country there were nearly 420,000 high school soccer players. From that number only approximately 8% will have the opportunity to go on to the next level of competition. In this week’s feature I am thrilled to feature these tremendous student-athletes and celebrate their accomplishments.

Gaby Carreiro
Q. Where are you attending?
A. Boston College

Q. Why did you choose to attend and play soccer at Boston College?
A. I chose to play soccer and attend Boston College because I love the intense athletic and academic environment. The school is a perfect distance from home and in the city; which is where I hoped to be. The soccer team also plays in the ACC, a competitive division where I hope to bring my skills to the next level and have an impact in the game.

Q. What is your best memory from being part of Nipmuc soccer?
A. The best memory from being a part of Nipmuc soccer was definitely winning the state championship. It brought about a sense of community, being able to look up in the stands and see the entire school and town cheering you on. My favorite moment from the game was when my sister subbed me out in the last 10 minutes, hugged me, and whispered I love you. I walked off the field, with tears in my eyes, knowing we had won the game and this was the end of my high school soccer journey. It was one of those happy-sad moments.

Q. What are you most excited for as you get ready to graduate and take on the challenge of being a student-athlete at the collegiate level?
A. I am most excited for the new experiences and new memories I am going to make. Boston College will allow me to play with a new team and discover myself at a higher level of soccer. It is the next step in our lives, as we become successful independent adults.

Q. What does it mean to you to be selected as the Gatorade Player of the Year?
A. Being selected as Gatorade Player of the Year is an amazing honor. It is a reflection of my hard work and dedication to the sport over my entire career. It is a way to give recognition to my school and give back to my community as they have supported me in my efforts throughout the journey. I have no words to say to explain my gratefulness, except thank you for this opportunity.

Jenna Fitzgerald
Q. Where are you attending?
A. Southern New Hampshire University

Q. Why did you choose to attend and play soccer at SNHU?
A. I chose to attend and play soccer at SNHU because of the close campus and small class sizes. They have my major of Psychology and I like the coach and team.

Q. What is your best memory from being part of Nipmuc soccer?
A. My best memory of being a part of Nipmuc soccer is our first game of the season verses Westborough when my little sister Leah and I both scored and won our game 2-0. Then on our Central Mass. championship game Leah and I both scored again to win 2-1 against Holy Name. Knowing that my entire family was in the stands and that I was able to play my senior year with my little sister was the most memorable moment for me being a part of Nipmuc soccer.

Q. What are you most excited for as you get ready to graduate and take on the challenge of being a student-athlete at the collegiate level?
A. I am excited about being on my own and discovering how far I can push myself. Graduation is right around the corner and then when summer comes I have to prepare myself to play and move away from home. Also I am most excited about how I will be able to play against Erika at Merrimack at the collegiate level.

Erika Scott
Q. Where are you attending?
A. Merrimack College

Q. Why did you choose to attend and play soccer at Merrimack?
A. I chose to attend and play soccer at Merrimack because the school has a very good academic reputation and a good soccer reputation. Also I like the campus, the majors they offer, and the soccer coach.

Q. What is your best memory from being part of Nipmuc soccer?
A. My best memory from Nipmuc soccer is definitely winning the state championship but more specifically the bus rides home from the state semifinal game and the state final game. The team was so happy and we were yelling every word to our favorite songs.

Q. What are you most excited for as you get ready to graduate and take on the challenge of being a student-athlete at the collegiate level?
A. I am most excited to be a part of a new team and to be able to play at a higher level of soccer. I am also excited to play against Jenna who is attending SNHU ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment