Friday, January 31, 2014

Feature Friday: One Acts Take the Stage at Nipmuc

Some of Nipmuc's One Act directors and performers
(l to r) Krysta Desper, Rose Wiklund,
Joselyn Melpignano, Arianna Bonito, and Lisa Slavin
As we get ready for the weekend, the members of Nipmuc drama are making final preparations for one of the highlights of the year: The One Act Play Competition. An annual tradition at Nipmuc, the "one acts" provide our students with the chance to showcase their talents in these student-directed productions. From sets to choreography to directing - our students take leadership in these plays, making the event a celebration of their talents, ambition, and skill. Included below is a feature of some of the students and the plays they are performing this Saturday evening, 2/1 at 7pm in the Nipmuc auditorium.

Play #1: Teen Angel 
Summary: Teen Angel follows Peggy, a teenager living in the 1950s, through the experience of love, life, and death as she struggles to earn her wings to enter heaven.  Along the way Peggy finds help in strange and unexpected places.  Will Peggy solve the problem she left behind?  Will she ever find the balance of love?  Find out if a little faith, love, and angel dust is enough on Saturday night!

Comments from Student-Actor Lisa Slavin
"As a performer this experience has helped me read behind the lines and see the character for what it truly is in the show.  Originally I read my character as a serious, grandmotherly, omniscient being but as time went on and with the help from those around me, I discovered the humor this character held.  This experience has taught me how to create something with others and have fun feeding off each other’s ideas.  I learned this through the creation of a dance in the play – something I have never done before – but something that I will feel proud of for the rest of my days by far."

Comments from Student-Director Krysta Desper
"I loved the choreography and picking the 50s music.  Plus the costumes are fun! [Through the play I learned not to] be afraid to be silly and to never back down from a challenge." 

Play #2: The Big Bang Theory
Summary: It’s Christmas time!  But much to Leonard’s disappointment, Penny suddenly develops an interest in science when a new physicist joins the lab.  Meanwhile, Sheldon struggles to find an appropriate Christmas gift for Penny.  Even though the Christmas season is over,  you’re sure to feel the spirit of giving in this comedy.
 
Comments from Student-Director Arianna Bonito
"The One Act Competition is unique because it allows people who have never been on stage before to work with their peers in a less stressful environment than when performing a full show.  It allows them to try out acting and backstage crew to see if is something they would really want to commit to.  Also, it gives many people opportunity to grow as actors by being in larger roles than what they may be used to."

Play #3: A Wolf in Disguise 
Summary: A Wolf in Disguise is a drama about Sean, a leprechaun who falls in love with a shepherdess.  The romance takes a nasty turn when a mysterious wolf attacks her flock on the night of the full moon and Sean must protect her.

Comments from Student-Director Rose Wiklund
"The only play I’ve directed before was a Romeo and Juliet parody skit with my neighbors, so this was a big step since usually I act on stage.  I learned how to be a better leader, how to motivate my peers, how to critique actors and block dynamic scenes.  Directing a play requires different skills than acting in one, and taking a leadership role as a director is a rewarding experience."

Play #4: A Twisted Fairy Tale
Summary: This play is based off an episode of “The Monkees” called Fairy Tale.  It’s about a boy named Peter who falls in love with a princess who has to later save her from a villain named Harold who is trying to kill her.

Comments from Student-Director Joselyn Melpignano:
"I finally got to become a One Act Director and I’ve been waiting to do this since the seventh grade! Through the production I learned to be myself and not to be afraid of performing. I learned to be confident in what I do."

Good luck to all cast and crew members! All are invited to enjoy the performances on Saturday evening beginning at 7pm in the Nipmuc auditorium. Tickets are $6 for adults and $4 for students.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment