Friday, December 4, 2015

Student Feature Friday - Fall Sports All Stars

Nipmuc's Fall Athletes

As we return to school from the Thanksgiving holiday, we mark not only the start of the holiday season but also the beginning of a new athletic season. We begin our winter athletics bolstered by the fantastic parent support, school spirit, and accomplishments that defined our fall season. In this week's feature, I am excited to share the accomplishments of our student-athletes who were recognized as Dual Valley Conference (DVC) all-stars. 

The following two questions were asked of the all-stars.   What was the most memorable part of the past season? What does it mean to you to be selected as a DVC All Star? 

Field Hockey
Sam Capalucci - DVC All Star
Being a DVC All-Star this season meant a lot to me because I was chosen among many players with a lot of skill. Our DVC was very competitive this season so it was a great feeling to come in second place as a team and also be named a first team All Star. My favorite part of the season would definitely have to be playoffs.  We were the fourteenth seed and ended up in semifinals, which no one really expected. Our team this season had a lot of young talent and we relied a lot on our hardworking juniors and sophomores so it was fun to watch everyone grow as players and as a team throughout the season. 

Jill Carey - DVC All Star
This season, my most memorable moment wasn't an amazing win or a crushing loss; it was a tie. We played Holliston on turf under the lights. They were having almost a perfect season and we had no chance. We stepped on the field and played our hearts out. I have never seen such a motivated and positive group of athletes. We walked away 0-0 with a team that was supposed to crush us. For me, that's when the season got serious, that's when I realized how far we could go into post season.  Being a DVC All Star is such a compliment.  It means that, not only is my coach seeing the work I put in on and off the field, but also the hard work is paying off during games and others are taking note. As a junior on the first team, I am more determined than ever to keep improving to make my senior year as successful as possible. 

Bailey Lynch - DVC All Star
My most memorable part of the past season had to be the BVT game during post season. It was a great game played by two very skilled teams. We went into double overtime and there where so many classmates there to support our team. Being a DVC All Star means the world to me. It's a true honor being selected as a sophomore to be an All Star! It has opened up new opportunities for me, and I can't wait to keep playing in the future at a collegiate level. 

Lea Peterson - DVC All Star
The most memorable part of this past season was making it so far in playoffs with my team.  We were the underdogs and we gained a lot of respect from other teams this year. It's a great honor to be a DVC All Star, and I definitely would not be where I am as a field hockey player today if it were not for my team mates.  I don't know what I would do without them.

Rebecca Rausch – DVC All Star
This past season, I decided to play field hockey for the first time.  I was very nervous to try something new so late in my high school career.  Despite my hesitation, I set out to play the position protecting the net; the goalie.  I spent a lot of sweaty and smelly hours during preseason practices trying to get the hang of it, and earn my place on the team.  I had no idea what I was in for.   My coaches were very encouraging and experienced, they helped me get comfortable and learn the position quickly.  My teammates were by my side through thick and thin, fun and pain, always giving me advice, but more importantly being my friend.  Picking just one of the memories this season would be unjust, but overall, the enjoyable atmosphere was my favorite. Along with the atmosphere, the inside jokes I spent hours laughing about, the bus rides, the singing, the embarrassing each other, the tears, and the friendships are all what made this season unforgettable.  The sport has exceeded my expectations in every way.  I am honored to be chosen as a DVC All Star.  This recognition has showed me that hard work and dedication can, and will pay off. This motivates me even more to do my absolute best, not only in field hockey, but in everything I do. 

Golf
Cole Alibozek- DVC All Star
My most memorable part of the past season was winning districts and going to states.  I feel awesome about being a DVC All Star and I want to keep up the good work so I can get DVC All Star for the next two years. 

Justin DiAntonio - DVC All Star
The most memorable part of my last Nipmuc golf season was leading our team to the best golf record in the school’s history and taking home both the DVC and District trophies. I felt as though we grew from a team into more of a family as the season progressed. We knew each other’s strengths and weaknesses and helped one another to improve our game all the way up until the very last match.   Personally, I am honored to be named a DVC All Star; however, I believe the whole team deserves recognition for our accomplishments.  There was never a time during this season that we relied on only one golfer. Everyone stepped up when the team needed it and that is what drove our determination to our 1st place finishes.

John Kossuth - DVC All Star
This past golf season was filled with many great memories and achievements.  As a team we finished 13-2-1 overall which was the best record in Nipmuc Golf history.  We were able to clinch the Dual Valley Conference in the regular season and were able to win the DVC Championship in our first postseason event.  After winning DVC's we moved onto the Division 2 Central Massachusetts Championship where we were able to win by an astounding 24 shots.  This win helped boost our confidence enough to help capture 8th place in the Division 2 State Championship at Crumpin Fox in Bernardston, MA.  In my sophomore and junior year I received honorable mention for all stars which was my primary motivation for doing well in my final season.  So, being selected as a DVC all star is something that I am very grateful and thankful for as it helps to showcase my overall improvement as a player and person over my 4 years on the team.  Not many people can say that they went out on top however, I am very appreciative to say that I did.

Girls Soccer
Leah Fitzgerald - DVC All Star
Remembering back to the soccer season, I always find myself thinking of my teammates. Our chemistry and love for each other only managed to grow throughout our time together.  I remember our wins and losses and everything in between. To be selected as a DVC All Star is kind of rewarding.  I give a lot of credit to my teammates because without them I wouldn't be motivated to work on my weaknesses.

Sophia Hegarty - DVC All Star
The most memorable part of the season cannot be summed up in one moment, but instead by a season's worth of bonding that made my team into my family. The season started with new players and a different feel to the team than the previous year. However, after bus rides, blasting music, and practices and games the team truly came together and created a family that I will never forget.  Being selected as a DVC All Star is such an amazing honor, especially considering the group of talented players that I encountered throughout the season. Being considered one of them means so much to me, I love soccer and have always given everything towards my team and the sport. My team, coach, and school have always been supportive and the award represents not only who I am as a player but where I come from and everyone who has helped me achieve this goal. I am very grateful for this recognition and appreciate it greatly.

Kiley Larocque - DVC All Star, All CMASS and All State
The most memorable part of the past season was building different relationships with my teammates. People who I am not usually close with become my best friends during soccer season. We all create an inseparable bond and enjoy every moment we get to practice and play together. This season was even more so special to me because by being named one of three captains, I had the opportunity to lead and be a good role model for each member on our team. Being named a DVC All Star while being part of a team with a whole lot of talent is a tremendous accomplishment. It only reiterates why I felt this season was so special because it shows that the hard work my teammates and I put in paid off. To be named a DVC All Star is the best way I would have wanted to finish my senior season, and I am proud to have impacted my team positively.

Tori McGrath - DVC All Star, All CMass
It's hard to pick a specific event that stands out this season, because they are all memorable. If I had to pick though, I would have to say our final push to make it into playoffs stands out the most. We had to win our final six games to get in, and we worked our hardest to accomplish this. Even now, months later, I am so proud of my team for the effort that we put in those final games, even though the outcome was not what we had hoped.  When I found out I was a DVC and Central Mass All Star, I was very surprised. This year was the first year that I played center back. It is humbling that I was recognized for all of the time and effort I put in. If it wasn't for the encouragement from the captains, coaches, and my teammates, I wouldn't have had the confidence to go out on the field every game and be successful at this position. I'm thankful for the opportunities that have been giving to me and very grateful for being selected as an All Star.

Angelica Puchovsky - DVC All Star
The most memorable part of this past season was being able to play on the same team with my sister for the first and last time. We are three years apart and even though we both share the same love for the game we were never able to play for the same team. Being able to share my last high school soccer season with her is truly something I will never forget. I will miss so much about high school soccer; not only the competition but creating memories with some of my best friends, and teammates that will last forever. Being recognized as a DVC All Star is such an honor, and a great way to end my high school soccer career. 

Boys Soccer
Bernard Broni - DVC All Star, All CMass
The most memorable part of the season for me was our senior game. I thought that was one of the best games as a team we've played and also as an individual I had played. It was a very close game I remember scoring the first goal and that was the momentum changer. After that they tied it. As a team we knew that we couldn't let all the fans who came to watch us down. In my head I was telling myself that I can't let my senior game be a loss. So I took it into my hands to get the team pumped up. At half time in the huddle I told the team "We've worked all season for a spot in playoffs so we can't be down on ourselves, we need to pick up the momentum and go out and win our senior game.   This is the last time we're ever going to play on this field so let's make it count".  After that we came out strong and I assisted Austin Franzosa for our second goal but Hopedale equalized. So for our third goal I took the ball down the wing saw Austin open so I crossed it in and he scored a header. Winning our senior game and helping our team make playoffs was a big accomplishment for me and making it to the CMass final two years straight was big also. To be selected as a DVC All Star means a lot to me.  I know that all the offseason work I put in paid off and helping my teammate Austin make it also means a lot to me. 

Volleyball
Kylie Gallagher – DVC All Star
The most memorable part of the season was definitely the homecoming game against Hopedale.  The game was so exciting because there was so much energy in the gym. Even though we didn't win the game, I was so glad to see so many students go to the game and to see how volleyball is played in an official setting.  We needed the win if we wanted to make the playoffs, but even without winning the game we ended up going to five games with Hopedale and fought an entertaining game.  Hopefully this event will cause more students to go to more games next year.  Each year as a varsity program we have improved, this year it was to get to 8 games and the next year the goal is to make the playoffs.  To be selected as a DVC All-Star means a lot to me.  It is really cool to be recognized among many other fantastic athletes in the area.  The whole volleyball team works really hard, and I think it shows. It is a great honor to be selected and also have my teammate and classmate, Grace selected.  We look forward to a great senior season next year.

Grace Caughey – DVC All Star
The most memorable part of the past season definitely had to have been our Dig Pink/Homecoming game. Throughout my three years on Varsity I have never seen that many Nipmuc boys and girls come to support our team. Playing against Hopedale  who is such a great rival and we have never played so well against, the fans really helped by cheering us on. It was for such a great cause and everyone had a great time.   The team as a whole played their best that night. Being selected as a DVC All Star means a player who expresses hard work during the season - a player who puts each teammate before themselves and shows true characteristics of being a leader. 

Football
Chris Bechara – DVC All Star
This season, I have made endless memories with the Nipmuc football team. The coaches have been the best mentors a player could ever ask for, not just on the field but off the field. Every single day there would be something to laugh about at practice. It's hard to think of a favorite memory but kissing the Thanksgiving trophy after beating BVT was my best football and high school memory.  I'll never forget the feeling of winning that game for as long as I live. Being a DVC All Star means that all the hard work I've put in this offseason has paid off. I love this team and I hope that we have paved a road for teams below us to follow. 

Zach Hunter - DVC All Star
The most memorable part of the season was definitely the Thanksgiving game. The energy we had to beat BVT was unlike anything else. The crowd was huge and gave us so much motivation to win. Standing out there on the field as the clock expired and just the feeling of beating BVT for the first time in eight years was so incredible. And I will never forget it. As a first year player, I was just hoping to get some playing time. I had no idea that I would become an All Star. I am proud of my accomplishments, I worked very hard to get where I am now. And I also want to thank Coach Hill and my entire team for always believing in me.

Mike Manning - DVC All Star
My favorite memory from football this year is when we beat BVT on Thanksgiving and seeing how excited my team was. It felt good having a winning season and sending my seniors off on a good note.

Ryan Nelson - DVC All Star
Easily the most memorable part of my high school season was beating BVT in the Thanksgiving Day game. Not only was this moment the most memorable of my senior season, but it was the most memorable game of my entire high school career. This win highlighted all of the work we put in as a team throughout the summer and the entire season. Knowing that this was the first time we had beaten BVT in eight years makes this even more memorable. Being a DVC All-Star is truly an honor. All the work I have put in throughout the season has paid off. It was one of my goals from the beginning of the season to end my high school career on a high note and I feel like I accomplished all of my goals, and couldn't be happier about that.

Pete Schiloski - DVC All Star, All CMass
The most memorable part of this football season for me was beating our rival, BVT, for the first time in 8 years on Thanksgiving. This was so special to our whole team because we stated at the beginning of our season that our one definite goal was to beat BVT. Accomplishing this goal made all of our offseason work and early mornings worth it. Being selected as a DVC All-Star means a great deal to me because at the beginning of every season I set personal goals and that was on the top of my list. 



No comments:

Post a Comment