Friday, June 5, 2015

Student Feature: Logan Pazol Attends WWDC 2015

Next week, the eyes of the technology industry will turn to San Francisco and the Apple Worldwide Developers' Conference (WWDC 2015). If you've ever seen clips of Apple CEOs Steve Jobs or Tim Cook delivering one of their trademark keynote presentations, you are aware of the media coverage, fanfare, and excitement that is part of these events. Joining the excitement at next week's conference is Nipmuc sophomore Logan Pazol. Logan is one of 350 students from across the country who was awarded a scholarship to attend this year's conference as a result of his impressive technical ability. Logan has been designing apps and writing code since 7th grade when he first designed a game that made its way to the Apple App Store. Logan has also designed the FireStat app - a tool that can be used by first responders to map emergency resources. This year Logan designed an app that provides a digital workflow solution for schools using 1:1 technology. The app - iTeachYou - allows students and teachers to easily share work and feedback with just a few clicks. 

In applying for acceptance to this conference, Logan created an app that told his story and why he is interested in technology. Next week, he'll have the chance to share sessions with some of the elite technology professionals in the world as he attends the conference, listens to guest speakers, hears performances, and attends the Apple Awards. 

You can view a video that summarizes some of Logan's technological accomplishments below:




I had the chance to speak with Logan as he gets ready for this unique adventure. 


Q: What accomplishment in the area of technology is your proudest? 
A: Im most proud that I was able to learn how to code by myself. Not having any formal training is hard sometimes, but I’m really proud of what I’ve been able to do without any. I first learned to code by reading a book about it. After reading the book I began looking things up on the Internet as I needed to. I especially needed to look up information about computer graphics. 

Q: How did you gain this opportunity to attend the WWDC? 
A: Apple gives 350 students the opportunity to go to WWDC for free by applying online. I was one of the lucky students to be chosen to go. I applied by creating an app that showcased my technical accomplishments and personal facts. 

Q: What are you most excited about in attending the WWDC? 
A: I’m most excited about talking to Apple engineers because I’ve never really talked to anyone who professionally does software development. I’m also excited to see the city, and see what its like on the west coast.
  
Q: What is your dream technology related job? 
A: My dream job would be to start my own business so I could do whatever I wanted without worrying about a boss.

Congratulations, Logan. We can't wait to hear about your experience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment