Friday, December 12, 2014

Feature Friday - Nipmuc Visits Harvard University for Computer Science Week

Nipmuc students preparing for their trip to Cambridge.
For the past few days students in schools across the country have been celebrating Computer Science Education Week, recognizing the growing importance of computer science in our schools. While over 90% of American schools do not teach computer science, Nipmuc has placed a growing emphasis on coding. Last year we introduced AP Computer Science, and this year all sophomores are getting a taste of CS as part of the Fundamentals of Mathematics course. We're excited that our computer science programming will continue to grow next year. 


In addition to celebrating "Hour of Code" (an opportunity for people to be introduced to coding through an hour-long intro activity - see video below), on Monday Nipmuc sent 45 female students to Harvard University to learn about coding. A follow-up to last year's TechGirlz workshop which brought five Harvard undergraduates to Nipmuc to work with our students, this visit to Harvard's campus was aimed at introducing and exciting our girls about the potential of studying computer science. 


As part of the day our students were able to participate in workshops run by Harvard students, visit a computer science fair, have lunch on campus, and hear a lecture from a Harvard professor. Nipmuc Regional was the only high school that was offered this opportunity. It was a great experience from a partnership that we would be thrilled to continue in the future. 
Included below are some questions and answers from four Nipmuc students - Ciara Larence, Jillian Penfield, Elizabeth Leblanc, and Emily O'Connell -  who were part of the larger group of 45. Enjoy!





Q: Where did your interest in computer science come from?
Ciara Larence:
A:  My interest in computer science began back in middle school. I took a computer lab class, and when we worked on websites I realized that I was pretty good at it and really enjoyed doing it. However, this was not the only reason that I started taking computer science. I have always been interested in the 'behind the scenes' of computers and technology, and really wanted to learn how things work. By taking the APCS class, I have realized that my interest in computer science has increased because it has made me realize how computers work and how little things written in code can change everything.

Elizabeth Leblanc:
A: Honestly, my interest in computer science came from this trip to Harvard. I had done minimal computer science work in fundamentals but this trip really sparked my interest in computer science and showed me that I could eventually see myself in a computer science career.

Emily O’Connell:
A: When I saw Web Design as a class option for my senior year I thought that it could be an interesting opportunity. Being able to create something that didn't exist before you coded it: I found that concept fascinating and really exciting.

         
Q: What was the most important part of the day for you?
Jillian Penfield:
A: The most important part of the day for me was definitely the CS50 Fair. There were students everywhere with their final projects willing to speak to us about them. There was everything from Apps to Google Chrome extensions, and robots to Software. Most of these students weren't even majoring in Computer Science and found out that they really loved it. It was so inspiring to hear all of these students' stories. It reminded me that maybe someday I could be standing in their position, just finishing my app/software/etc.  It helped to remind me how much I love computer science and how many routes you can go with it. 

Q: What was your greatest take-away from the day?

Ciara Larence:
A: My greatest take-away from the day was the fact that most of the students taking the CS50 class had never done any computer science before. I was blown away by the fact that they were able to create a range of things, all in a short period of time. I think that it made me realize that once you really devote yourself to something, you can achieve anything.  Some of the students had learned many different languages, and it was all just for the fun of it since they were majoring  in something completely unrelated to computer science. This made me realize that sometimes you should do things that you enjoy, just to learn it for the fun of it.

Elizabeth Leblanc:
A: I took away an increased knowledge of computer science. I realized that computer science isn't just a career for people who like to be alone on the computer. Computer science involves collaboration and a problem-solving thinking style that greatly appeals to me.

Jillian Penfield:
A: Seeing all the different things that can be done with computer science in the CS50 fair. I can confidently say that I plan to take at least one computer science course in college.

Q: What connection can you make between your current coursework and the Harvard trip?
Emily O’Connell:
A:  I can incorporate some of the simple JavaScript coding I learned at the Harvard workshop into creating my final website for my Web Design class. 

Jillian Penfield:
A:  At the Harvard trip I learned that code can be translated easily between different languages. You see in English it would be difficult to translate to Chinese or French. In Computer Science there are different languages such as Java, JavaScript, CSS, HTML, and more. Yes, they all have different commands and are different coding-wise, however logic-wise they are the same. Once you "code" your brain to think like a computer scientist, you can easily translate code between languages. It really shows that with computer science, you don't have to just choose one certain aspect. If you decide you want to make websites with HTML, and then change your mind to software with Java, it is okay. It shows that computer science as a major has so many options and really allows students to experiment with what they like and dislike.


Check out the video below to learn more about Hour of Code. 

No comments:

Post a Comment