Friday, September 19, 2014

Student Feature Friday: Nipmuc's World Travelers

Nipmuc's World Challenge participants:
Taylor Leacy, Rebecca Rausch, Alexa Mirageas,
Alison Goddard, Aleah Castonguay, and Viola Hibbett
As we've made our way through the first few weeks of school, I've enjoyed connecting with our students and learning about how they spent their summer vacations. While many students had exciting summers, few students had more adventures than then six Nipmuc students who traveled to Costa Rica as part of Nipmuc's World Challenge program.

Over the course of the past decade, Nipmuc has participated in seven World Challenge trips taking students from Guatemala to Madagascar to Belize. World Challenge excursions are not a traditional school trip. Instead, students play the key role in organizing, managing, and leading every aspect of the voyage. In addition to planning their activities, the budget, travel, and diet - students also participate in a service project that connects them to a community in their destination country.

This past summer six Nipmuc students and faculty member Kate Reardon traveled to Costa Rica for an adventure of a lifetime. The students had the chance to experience the cloud forests, coastline, and communities of Costa Rica. For this week's Feature Friday I had the chance to speak with our six adventurers - Aleah Castonguay, Alison Goddard, Viola Hibbett, Taylor Leacy, Alexa Mirageas, and Rebecca Rausch. Check out their thoughts below about their memories and favorite parts of the trip.

Aleah Castonguay – Class of 2017
My favorite memory was walking through the rain forest on the trek – through the mud, up and down steep hills, and through water rapids. I grew as a person because I learned that it is okay to ask for help and to rely on others for help.  I also learned that it is okay to make new friends and open myself up.  That it is okay to make mistakes and to get out of my comfort zone.

Viola Hibbett – Class of 2017
My favorite memory was the third day of our trek.  Since it was the last day of walking we were all very positive and we only had one backpack.  It was a lovely walk with great views and I had a great time.

Alison Goddard – Class of 2016
I like the trip as a whole, but one memory that I liked the most is going to the Maleku Village and playing with all the children.  We were able to teach them games we play here, and they showed us what they did for fun. I learned that everything we have is a privilege and that we don’t need everything we have.  I can go two weeks without my phone and have it not be an issue.  It also made me learn that I can handle challenges and be successful in what I want to do.  This trip was extremely eye opening.

Taylor Leacy – Class of 2016
My favorite memory was going to the Maleku Village and being with the kids and not worrying about what was going on at home. The trip taught me to take charge and be aware of what is happening around me.  It allowed me to gain responsibilities and grow as a person.  Also, it let me meet new people and learn how to develop new friendships with people that I had never talked to before.

Alexa Mirageas – Class of 2016
My favorite memory was going to the Maleku Village because I was able to experience a different world which was incredibly eye opening. [During the trip] I was able to become more responsible and more decisive with my decision making because I was put into situations which me grow as a person.

Rebecca Rausch – Class of 2017
My favorite memory was when Taylor and I entertained the rest of our group by making videos and it kept our team happy.  We dressed up by putting blankets on our head and we had a talk show!  We created a special bond. [Through the trip] I learned that working together and dividing up jobs can make things easier and faster.  I also learned that being positive can make all the difference and can change the way others feel.  Being positive not only helps others be happy, but it makes things more enjoyable.

Congratulations to our World Challengers on an amazing trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment