Friday, September 12, 2014

Student Feature Friday: National Merit Semi-finalists Melody Wiklund and Matthew DeVane



NMSC Semi-finalists
Melody Wiklund and Matthew DeVane
Earlier this week, Nipmuc Regional High School received notification that two of our seniors - Matthew DeVane and Melody Wiklund - have been recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation as national semi-finalists. In receiving this honor Matt and Melody are two of 16,000 students out of 1.4 million students who participated in the PSAT. By achieving in the top 1% of all test takers, they will have the chance to compete for some 7,600 National Merit Scholarships worth about $33 million to be offered next spring. 

This achievement recognizes their tremendous academic performance and distinguishes them from their peers at Nipmuc, across the Commonwealth, and nationally. For this week's Feature Friday post, I'm proud to share some of my conversation with Matt and Melody about their achievements. 


Mr. Clements: Your performance on the PSAT was phenomenal. What helped you to achieve such great success on the test? 
Melody: For the PSAT, I mostly prepared by paying attention in class... My sister also gave me some advice which I don't completely remember anymore, but I think about half of it was not to freak out, which is pretty good advice.
Matthew: Preparing for the test was not the thing that made me do as well as I did. Sure, practice tests helped get me familiar with the format and allowed me to review any topics I was unsure on. But more important was working hard throughout my time in school to learn and understand, not cramming to pass a test.

Mr. Clements: What academic subjects most interest you? 
Melody: The academic subjects that most interest me are Spanish and English. I also am focusing on my art classes this year.
Matthew: My favorite subjects are science and math. They teach me about the world and give me the tools to solve the puzzles of why it works the way it does.

Mr. Clements: What does this honor mean to you? 
Melody: The honor of the chance at this scholarship caught me a little off guard because I had forgotten it existed. I am excited, though (being caught off guard only added to that). It would be especially great if I could get the scholarship because that would mean money for college which is always lovely.
Matthew: This award opens up doors that might otherwise be closed to me. Several of my top choices for college offer significant scholarships for National Merit Finalists, so being a Semifinalist is a first step towards a much better opportunity for furthering my education.

Mr. Clements: What are your aspirations for college and life after Nipmuc? 
Melody: After Nipmuc, I plan on going to college for a liberal arts major such as history, English or philosophy. I don't know what college yet. Apart from college, I have been working on my writing.
Matthew: After I graduate, I plan to go to college for engineering--perhaps something to do with computers. I hope to work in a field that allows me to use my skills to solve fascinating problems.

Congratulations Matt and Melody. I also look forward to announcing Nipmuc's National Merit "Commended Students" when those names are released later this month. 

1 comment: