Friday, June 20, 2014

Feature Friday: Nipmuc Junior & Boston Ballet School Participant Philip White

Throughout the year my "Feature Friday" posts have given me a chance to share the achievements, interests, and success of our students. In taking time to meet with the students I've featured, I've continually been amazed at what they have been able to accomplish. The final featured student of the 2013-14 school year is no exception. 

Junior Philip White is an elite ballet dancer and a member of the Boston Ballet School. His dedication to his craft stems from his "pursuit of perfection." As a participant in the Boston Ballet School, he trains six days per week, receiving training and direction from some of the world's best teachers and dancers. His skill and ability as a dancer have provided him the opportunity to travel across the country as well as to England where he will train with the Royal Ballet School this summer. He has a rare and impressive talent that I am proud to share with you today. 

Q: How did you become involved in ballet?
A: When I was 10 my mom suggested I take classes with a friend who was teaching at the Walnut Hill School, from there I joined their after school program and have been dancing since. 

Q: What has it been like to be part of the Boston Ballet School?
A: Overall it is demanding, but the purpose of the program is to prepare you for a professional career. Classes and rehearsals can run six or seven days a week so it does get strenuous but it is worth it. Stamina is a big part of ballet training and the schedule obviously focuses on that but classes like pilates help to balance things out. 

Q: What summer programs have you participated in? What are your plans for this summer?
A: I have been to Walnut Hill's summer program, Princeton American Repertory Ballet, and Miami City Ballet. This summer I will be going to Ballet Austin for three weeks and the Royal Ballet School in London for two weeks.

Q: What do you enjoy most about ballet?
A: I enjoy that ballet is a constant problem, it will never be perfect. There is only the idea of what a perfect position looks like but getting there is nearly impossible and this struggle keeps me determined.

Q: What are your plans for dance after your senior year?
A: I plan to dance in college as an activity but not as a major as many universities have great clubs and extracurriculars for dance.

Good luck, Philip, as you travel to Austin and London this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment