Friday, June 6, 2014

Feature Friday: "Like a good neighbor...Eli is there!"

From student council to the role played by class officers to National Honor Society, Nipmuc has a proud tradition of student leadership. Our student leaders have an important voice in running our school and impacting our community. I'm proud to say that from time to time our student leaders also expand their leadership contributions to the regional or state level. That is the case for junior Eli Tamagni who recently was elected President of the Central District Massachusetts' Association of Student Councils. In that role, Eli will have the chance to serve as a leader of leaders. He spread the word about his candidacy and leadership skills through his "Like a good neighbor, Eli is there!" campaign. As you will read in this week's feature, Eli is certainly a "good neighbor" for his fellow student council members. His tremendous enthusiasm for student council and passion for leadership will guide our region well.

Q: How did you first decide to run for President of the Central District Massachusetts’ Association of Student Councils?
A: This year I was a delegate on executive board for CDMASC, the Central District of Massachusetts Associations of Student Councils. This year has been one of the best of my life, a great deal for the reason that I was fortunate enough to be a member of this executive board. CDMASC is the largest of the four student council regions in Massachusetts, consisting of about 35 schools between the Worcester and Middlesex counties.  CDMASC and MASC have meant more to me than anything else I’ve crossed paths with in my life thus far, and I want to share this feeling and bring it to others who would enjoy it just as much as I do.  I want to inspire others to be the best leaders they can be through student council, and I felt that this was an incredible way for me to accomplish this, meanwhile having a tremendous amount of fun in the process.  They have become some of my best friends and greatest inspiration. To take all that I've learned this year to the next level, I decided to run for president of the organization. Running against two of my good friends, both of whom also happened to be members of the 2013-2014 board, was not easy, but we all knew that whoever came out victorious would do an incredible job. Hearing my name announced as the new president of CDMASC, I was more grateful and excited than ever. I have an amazing year ahead of me.  My campaign was a lot of work. My theme was "Like a good neighbor, Eli is there! Vote Eli for CDMASC President". I created t-shirts for my campaigners, constructed posters, and ordered hundreds of pairs of sunglasses to hand out with my slogan on the sides. I prepared a 3 minute speech to present in front of over 400 student council members, coming from schools all over central Massachusetts, CDMASC being the largest of four regions in the state.  The conference was held on Wednesday, April 16th at David Prouty High School in Spencer, MA. Student council has been the most important thing to me in high school, and I’m glad to be chosen to such a position of high importance. I cannot wait to inspire others to be better leaders themselves.

Q: What have you learned about leadership through your experience with student council?
A: Through student council I have most of all learned be a successful and effective leader.  I have attended various regional and state conferences in addition to charity events and even MASC Summer Camp, where I have made lifelong friendships with leaders around Massachusetts, allowing myself to grow in my leadership.  I will even be attending the NASC conference in Orlando, FL this summer, where I will expand my leadership to the National Association of Student Councils, consisting of all student councils in the United States.  CDMASC and MASC have meant more to me than anything I’ve experienced in high school and it has taught me to be a better version of myself.  By surrounding myself with such an incredible group of leaders, I am truly inspired to further myself as a person, for I feel like they are a second home, where I can be myself without a care in the world.  I have been taught valuable skills in leadership, all of which I love taking back to my own council at Nipmuc to share.

Q: What do you hope to achieve during your term as president?
A: As president it is my job to serve CDMASC as their leader and connection to MASC, the Massachusetts Association of Student Councils. In addition to being the head of the Central District's executive board, it is also my duty to serve as an officer on the MASC Executive Board, attending meetings throughout the year for both of them. As an officer on the MASC board, I look forward to standing on stage at MASC Summer Camp, the Annual State Conference at Hyannis, Officer Shop, the President’s Dinner, as well as working closely with both executive boards and creating best friendships. I would like to take CDMASC to the next level of leadership: such as participating in charity walks such as the annual Walk for Multiple Sclerosis, and the Color Run. I want to inspire my region to become a group of even better leaders, by showing them the way. I can say that I feel as if I have what it takes to do it, learning from my experience and peers on the 2013-2014 executive board. I can't wait for an amazing year of learning and leadership.  As president, I will help in planning events for CDMASC such as conferences, a dodgeball tournament, a charity dance, and laser tag.  My biggest goal is to inspire other Student Council leaders to be the best that they can be, and to show to them all the amazing things that come from it.

Q: What is most exciting to you about this leadership challenge?
A: The most exciting thing to me about this leadership challenge is being able to have such a committed group of students to lead and show the way, inspiring them to become the best they can be.  Being a leader gives you a kind of rush – standing in front of a wild crowd, doing good for your community, and having an amazing time doing it all.  That sense of accomplishment one feels after doing an act of kindness is indescribable.  It is my goal to spread that feeling to as many people possible.  I want to bring the wonder of MASC and CDMASC back to my own council, for I feel that getting them involved could only improve us as student council members.  Participants in these organizations feel as if they are a second home to them, and to that I absolutely agree.  These associations are not things that help people only in high school – they stick with you throughout the rest of your life.  I can say that I have changed as a person because of student council.  If it can happen to one person, I believe that anyone has the ability to become an amazing leader if they try.  I am truly inspired by my peers of student council, and I am greatly looking forward to leading them in a new year, for a new journey.

Eli Tamagni (far right) and his CDMASC
leadership board. 

No comments:

Post a Comment