Friday, March 7, 2014

Feature Friday: State Champion High Jumper Kevin Hack

Kevin Hack competing at the All-State Meet
on February 22 at the Reggie Lewis Center in Boston
photo credit: Jim Michaud, Boston Herald
In the proud tradition of Nipmuc sports, our athletes and teams have experienced a great deal of success. Banners for league championships, district championships, state titles, and sportsmanship awards line the walls of our gymnasium, a reminder of the achievements of our athletes. This year one of Nipmuc's student athletes added to that proud tradition with an amazing season in indoor track that led to a state championship. In this week's edition of "Feature Friday" I am proud to share the accomplishments of Nipmuc sophomore Kevin Hack who recently established himself as the best high jumper in the state of Massachusetts. Kevin had a phenomenal season on the way to winning the District 4 state championship, the overall state championship, and a sixth place finish in the New England regionals. Included below is a portion of my interview with Kevin.

Q: How did you get involved with high jumping?
A: Last spring when I joined track I wasn't sure what events to participate in. My older brothers had been a part of track, Alex was a long jumper and Andrew was a high jumper, so I thought I would start with those events. I immediately liked the long jump and thought that was going to be my focus for field events. I wasn't so sure about the high jump, it seemed a bit intimidating, but I reached a personal record of 5"10" by the end of the season so I decided I would continue to pursue it in the future.

Q: What are some of the highlights of your season?
A: This season I picked up where I had left off last spring. My first jump was 5'10" and I was pretty happy with that. I set a goal for myself to break 6' this season. Several weeks into the season I surpassed my goal, reaching 6'3". It never occurred to me that I would continue to jump higher as the season progressed. I was pretty excited when I reached 6'3". I then went on to jump 6'6" at the Division 4 State meet and I was pretty overwhelmed by this accomplishment. I really could not believe how much I had surpassed the goal that I set for myself, and I am happy that I am now consistently clearing 6'4".

Q: What are some of the factors that have contributed to your success?
A: The support that I received from my family, friends and Coaches (Auger and Buckley) has been amazing. They have each guided me in a different way these last few months. I have been working hard to stay in shape and I have been studying my form from pictures and videos to find areas in which I can help myself improve.

Q: What are some of the challenges you have overcome in achieving the state championship?
A: The biggest challenges that I have faced this season have been mentally preparing for my jumps and staying fit enough to avoid any injuries. Jumping takes a huge toll on my body and I need to stay physically healthy to continue on into the spring season.

Q: What are your hopes with high jumping as you look toward your remaining years of high school and beyond?
A: As I look to the future, I hope that I continue to improve in order to stay competitive and defend my divisional title through the remainder of my high school years. Beyond high school my ultimate goal is to be able to compete in the high jump at the collegiate level. The immediate future brings an exciting opportunity as well. On March 14th I will be competing in the Emerging Elites at Nationals in New York City.

Q: What was it like to compete at the state and New England championships?
A: My overall experiences at the State and New England meets were amazing. The competition was unbelievable and it definitely brought out the best in me. On top of that, each and every athlete that I competed with held themselves to the highest standard of sportsmanship. Everyone encouraged each other and offered advice. This kind of atmosphere made it such an amazing experience. I am really fortunate to say that I have gained a few new friends these last few months.

Great job, Kevin. Congratulations on your state championship!

No comments:

Post a Comment