Friday, April 17, 2015

Student Feature Friday - Sophomore Jill Carey Elected Vice President of CDMASC

CDMASC VP Jill Carey
One of the defining parts of our school culture is the meaningful role that student leadership plays in guiding Nipmuc's activities, decision making, and priorities. Over the years I have enjoyed the chance to work with many student leaders. I continue to be impressed with the way our students seek opportunities to make an impact on their school and community. 

In this week's feature I am excited to highlight a student who has shown this type of impressive leadership in her two years at Nipmuc. Sophomore Jill Carey is a student council member and a member of Nipmuc Together. She has worked with me as a member of interview committees and helped to craft the vision of 1:1 learning at our school. Now Jill has another accomplishment to add to her resume. She has recently been elected Vice President of the Central District Massachusetts Association of Student Councils. This honor comes with the responsibility of representing student councils across our region of the state. She follows in the footsteps of current CDMASC President (and Nipmuc senior) Eli Tamagni in taking on leadership at this level. 

I had the chance to hear from Jill about her role and taking on this new responsibility. 
Q. How did you first decide to run for Vice President of the Central District Massachusetts’ Association of Student Councils (CDMASC)?
A. As a freshman, I attended the state conference in Hyannis and fell in love with the people and the organization. I knew then that I would find a way to become more involved with MASC. This summer, while at MASC camp, I decided I was going to run for Central District Regional Executive Board. My camp counselor actually suggested I go to the meeting for perspective candidates. That's what really pushed me over the edge. I was really worried that I was too young to be running yet, but I decided to go for it, and I'm so thrilled that I did!


Q. What do you hope to achieve as Vice President of the Central Massachusetts Executive Board?
A. In my upcoming year on the board, I hope to achieve many things. I want to help CDMASC reach new heights and do more as a region to help others. We are involved with the Special Olympics and increasing our support for those athletes is really important to me. We are the largest region in Massachusetts so we have the greatest ability to make a difference. I think we have baJILLion possibilities; in fact that was my campaign slogan!


Q. What is most exciting to you about this leadership challenge?
A. I'm most excited to dive in and start working hard with the rest of the executive board. We have this amazing opportunity as high school students to make decisions that help those around us. I think this experience will also teach me a lot about myself and leave me with knowledge that will help me in the years to come.


Q. What do you think this new role will enable you to bring back to the Nipmuc Student Council?
A. My hope is that during my time on CDMASC board, I will be able to come back to Nipmuc and encourage others to get more involved. 


No comments:

Post a Comment