Friday, January 23, 2015

Student Feature Friday - The Nipmuc Skippers

Alexandra  Materia, Samantha Chase, Lauren Materia 
Over the course of years the Miscoe Hill Skippers have developed a reputation for excellence in the way they promote wellness, support the American Heart Association, and entertain crowds with their jump roping performances. The Skippers have entertained crowds during halftime presentations for schools like Northeastern University and Bridgewater State University. Locally, they have performed during halftime at schools' sporting events. Additionally, they have shared their message and created excitement by visiting local elementary schools to entertain younger students.

This year, I am thrilled that the Miscoe Hill Skippers have expanded to include Nipmuc Regional. Upon joining the freshman class at Nipmuc, three veteran members of the Skippers - Samantha Chase, Alexandra Materia, and Lauren Materia - took the initiative to bring the team to our school. Samantha, Alex, and Lauren are the first three members of the newly-formed Nipmuc Skippers. They have continued to train and perform with students at Miscoe Hill, allowing this exciting program to continue at our school.

On Tuesday, January 27 the Nipmuc and Miscoe Hill Skippers will perform for students at Millville Elementary School in Millville and Augustine F. Maloney Elementary School in Blackstone. On February 5 they will inspire students and staff at Jefferson Elementary in Franklin. In advance of those performances, I am excited to feature the Nipmuc Skippers to highlight their experiences with this awesome team.

Samantha Chase
Q: How did you first become interested in being part of the Skippers?
A: At Memorial Elementary we did the Jump Rope for Heart program in our physical education class. When I was in fourth grade, our teacher, Chrissy Horn, started bringing me and a couple other students to the Skipper's morning practices. From there, I just continued on the team.

Q: How long have you been part of the team?
A: I officially started on the team in fourth grade.

Q: What have been the greatest benefits of being part of the Skippers?
A: Some of the greatest benefits would be the exercise, which builds up a lot of strength and stamina, and the experience. Being a part of the Skippers has helped me meet a lot of amazing people and take part in really inspiring volunteer events.

Q: Has working with middle school students given you the chance to take on a leadership role with your team?
A: Although we are all friends, the younger Skippers definitely look up to the older Skippers, since we are more experienced.

Alexandra Materia
Q: How did you first become interested in being part of the Skippers?
A: When I was in 4th grade my gym teacher, Christine Horn, asked if I would like to join the Skippers team at the middle school because I was a part of her after school program from 2nd to 4th grade.

Q: How long have you been part of the team?
A: I have been a part of the Skippers team for 5 years but I have been jump roping since I was in kindergarten.

Q: What have been the greatest benefits of being part of the Skippers?
A: One of the greatest benefits of being a part of the Skippers is the honor to inspire someone else to go out and challenge themselves to do something that they thought was impossible.

Q: Has working with middle school students given you the chance to take on a leadership role with your team?
A: Working with the middle school students has definitely given me the chance to take on a leadership role on the team, which has taught me that in order to pursue your goals as a team you need to be able to take a leadership role so people can go to you when they are having trouble.

Lauren Materia
Q: How did you first become interested in being part of the Skippers?
A: Personally it all started in elementary school when I saw that Mrs. Horn was having an after school program. That immediately sparked my interest. I continued to do the after school program all the way through until I graduated from Memorial school. Eventually Mrs. Horn asked me if I would like to be a part of The Miscoe Hill Skippers and I was honored!

Q: How long have you been part of the team?
A: I have been a part of the Skippers jump rope team for 5 years but I did jump in elementary school 2nd grade through 4th grade before I made the actual team.

Q: What have been the greatest benefits of being part of the Skippers?
A: The greatest benefits about being a part of the Skippers jump rope team is being able to inspire so many people. I personally love making someone's day by putting a smile on their face. Also by being a part of the Skippers team we have become one big family. Also another benefit about being a part of the Skippers is being a mentor to the younger skippers. I love being that big sister figure for them because I love to teach and help them out as much as I can.

Q: Has working with middle school students given you the chance to take on a leadership role with your team?
A: Most definitely! Not only have I inspired the younger Skippers but they have inspired me so much over the years. A few weeks ago the Skippers had a competition in Weare, New Hampshire in which I received the Team Spirit Award. I was so honored and didn't expect this at all. By receiving this award it shows how much I am a leader and role model to all the younger ones which I am flattered that they all think that about me.













No comments:

Post a Comment