Friday, November 14, 2014

Student Feature Friday: Nipmuc's Equestrian Experts!

Last evening I had the chance to meet with eighth graders and their parents in order to provide them with information about our school and our students. As the night came to a close, I encouraged them to take some time to read some of my"Feature Friday" posts in order to see some of the amazing accomplishments of our students. I talked about the diverse range of activities and interests of our students. This week's post provides another example of students whose have developed expertise through their hard work and dedication to their interests.

I'm proud this week to feature four students who have a passion for working with horses. In the comments of Chelsea, Abby, Trenton, and Ciara you will find four stories of commitment, personal growth, achievement, and aspirations that result from their dedication to equestrian sports. Enjoy!

Chelsea Gorius
Chelsea Gorius
Q: How did you get interested in working with horses? Tell me about your current experiences working with horses. 
A: I have been riding horses since I was seven; however, I took a few years off around the age of 10. I have always loved horses since I was little, any mention of a horse when I was younger would get me so excited.  After not riding for a while my mother surprised by signing me up for lessons again in the summer of 2010.  Since then I just haven't been able to stop.  I bought my first horse in 2011 and showed local and state shows for awhile.  For the next year or so I really got into showing.  I show on the AQHA circuit which is the most popular single breed circuit in the world.  In the fall of 2012, I made the decision to switch to a barn in Harwinton, Connecticut.  At Powder Brook Farm I have learned so much from my trainers.  During 2013 I traveled to different states with my new horse to get into the MUCH larger shows.  This past year I again had a new horse and went to many shows in many states throughout the year.  Showing the all-around category I typically show six different kinds of classes between Western and English at horse shows.  My riding has improved drastically since I went to PBF and I have been lucky enough to have won many all around titles at many shows. In July I was named Highpoint Novice Youth at the Big A show in Conyers, Georgia and I won a saddle for the award.  In October I went to the All American Quarter Horse Congress, the largest single breed horse show in the world.  At the show I received multiple top ten awards and I finished Reserve Congress Champion in my Novice Equitation class out of 120 competitors.  Riding at this level is so rewarding but also hard.  Horse shows typically involve me getting up at 5 or earlier and not going to bed until 11, only to do it all again the next day.  I spend every weekend at the barn in Connecticut just practicing and training in order to get better.  Even though it is hard I love showing more than anything and I know I wouldn't be who I am now without the experiences I have gotten through showing.
Q: What is the most rewarding part of your experiences working with horses? 
A: The most rewarding part is knowing that after all of the blood, sweat, and tears (literally) that it all paid off.  Knowing that you were able to work with such an animal towards a goal.  Getting your horse to go over a pole, set up properly, or even to go with proper cadence is reward enough. Horses are a pain the butt to work with honestly, but for me it's the challenge they give that makes everything worth it in the end.  As sappy as it may sound there truly is no bond like the one between a girl and her horse.

Abigail Rapiejko
Abby Rapiejko
Q: How did you get interested in working with horses? Tell me about your current experiences working with horses. 
A: I began working with horses when I was five years old.  I attended a pony camp during the summer until I found my 4-H club, the Woodville Trailbusters 4-H Horse Club.  Currently, I ride my horse, Chief, in hunter classes (including flats and jumping) and gymkhana at 4-H shows at both the local and state level.  I have been the captain of my 4-H club's performing drill team for the past two years.  I am on a national horsebowl team that just competed in  Louisville, Kentucky. Horsebowl is a horse knowledge competition.  Questions are read and the first person to buzz in correctly gains points (and loses points if incorrectly). 
Q: What is the most rewarding part of your experiences working with horses? 
A: One of the most rewarding parts of working with horses is helping young children learn how to ride.  I have volunteered at a horse camp at my barn, and I love seeing the campers progress in their knowledge of caring for horses, riding, and driving.  It is very rewarding to perform in drill team in front of the public at the Middlesex County Fair. Drill team is a chorographed pattern of paired horses set to music with costumes.  

Trenton Ryder
Trenton Ryder
Q: How did you get interested in working with horses? Tell me about your current experiences working with horses. 
A: I discovered my passion for horses when my family went on a group trail ride at a local stable just for the fun of it. I loved it so much that I asked my mom to take me back for weekly lessons. Since then, I have worked at many stables and with many horses. That exposure has enabled me to learn a wide range of horse disciplines and training techniques. I currently work and ride for an Olympic level rider and trainer at her private farm in Uxbridge, MA. She specializes in the discipline of eventing. This style of riding consists of three disciplines over a span of three days; dressage, cross country, and show jumping. I work for her and her husband and ride her horse Wally (the horse in the picture). He is a dream! Wally and I have an unexplainable connection. I love him so much and am so grateful for the blessings God has given me. 
Q: What is the most rewarding part of your experiences working with horses? 
A: The most rewarding part of my experiences with horses is the joy I receive from simply being allowed pursue my dreams and passions with horses. I have never had the parents that give me everything to my heart's content. If I wanted it bad enough, I had to work to get it. That was no different with horses. I wanted to work for the trainer I do now for along time. It was up to me to set and build that relationship that I have with her and her husband; and believe me, it took a long time to get to the place that I am now. All in all, I did it, and that allows me to have the maximum amount of enjoyment possible. I also look forward to using horses in the future as a healing tool for abused and neglected children and families. I can't wait for the day where my ranch will enable thousands of children to feel and experience the joy I feel form being around and riding horses, the joy that i feel when I jump a four foot fence, the joy I feel from pursuing my dreams.  

Ciara Larence
Ciara Larence 
Q: How did you get interested in working with horses? Tell me about your current experiences working with horses. 
A: I became interested in working with horses when I got a horseback ride for my birthday. It started out as a one time until I got horseback riding lessons for a Christmas gift. Ever since that gift I have been riding horses consistently for about six years now. I recently went on a beach ride with my horse, which had been a huge experience for me because I have always wanted to do it. I am also currently in a drill team of a total of six horses, and that has given me a lot of new experiences. I am the youngest rider of the group and being able to work with adult riders have taught me a variety of new things. Horses are amazing creatures to work with and I have learned so much about myself and about them from working around horses.
Q: What is the most rewarding part of your experiences working with horses?  
A: The most rewarding part of my experiences working with horses is the connection that I have made with the horses. Since each horse has their own quirks and personality traits, it's really rewarding to be able to get to know the horses. They have made me more aware of myself because they are perceptive of things that we, as humans, don't even notice ourselves. I think this is my most rewarding part because it has allowed me to become who I am and I know they will always be there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment