Friday, February 7, 2014

Feature Friday: All State Soprano Arianna Bonito

Arianna Bonito (with microphone)
performing at the 2013 Pops Concert
Each year Nipmuc's student-musicians have the opportunity to participate in the Central District music auditions, allowing members of our wind ensemble and chorus to showcase their abilities against other talented musicians and vocalists in the area. This year eight students were honored at this competition and six received recommendations to perform at All State auditions. Congratulations to the following students for their tremendous talent and performances: 

Arianna Bonito - Chorus (All State Recommendation)
Kevin Harris - Clarinet (All State Recommendation)
Alex McCulloch - Chorus 
Molly Meath - Flute (All State Recommendation)
Elena Morganelli - Trumpet (All State Recommendation)
Elizabeth Nigro - Clarinet 
Eoin O'Connell - Percussion (All State Recommendation) 
Aiden Thieme - Jazz Trumpet (All State Recommendation)

I'm also proud to announce that one of our students - Arianna Bonito - earned a place on the Massachusetts Music Educators All State Chorus. Arianna is a senior member of Nipmuc's chorus. Arianna's accomplishment establishes her as one of the top high school vocalists in Massachusetts. I asked Arianna to share a few thoughts about this honor and what it means to her.


Q: What type of experiences will you participate in as a result of this honor? 
A: For All-State, I will be attending a three day intensive at the Seaport World Trade Center in Boston. For those three days, I have rehearsal for a grand total of about 21 hours plus a concert at Boston Symphony Hall.

Q: What does this accomplishment mean to you? 
A: This accomplishment is beyond any of my wildest dreams. At first I didn't think I would even try out for Districts because of my busy schedule. Not once did I imagine actually getting into districts, let alone receiving the highest soprano score and an All-Sate recommendation.  I greatly doubted my performance for the All-State audition, and the acceptance really caught me off guard. This opportunity to sing at Symphony Hall is something I will surely cherish for years. My parents have been so proud of me, and I am completely humbled by this honor. 

Q: What are you most excited about when considering this experience? 
A: I have to say that I am most excited for singing at Boston's Symphony Hall. It is an opportunity that neither of my parents (who are both professional singers) has been able to experience yet and I have to admit that feels really good. I am also excited for this opportunity because it may open many doors for a career in the arts.

Q: What are some of your most memorable moments as a member of Nipmuc's music program? 
A: Some of my most memorable moments in Nipmuc's music department include the chorus and band trip to New York City where we sang at a cathedral on Broadway. The band played on the USS Intrepid, and we all had the opportunity to meet and be taught a song and dance number by performers of the Lion King. Later that night we all got to see the show on Broadway. 

Q: What plans do you have to pursue music beyond Nipmuc? 
A: After I graduate from Nipmuc, I plan to major in musical theater and hopefully (someday) find myself on "the Big White Way." I hope to continue doing choral performances, continue to write, and when I'm older, I would love to share my knowledge of the arts  with the next generations. 

Congratulations, Arianna, and good luck on stage at Symphony Hall!



No comments:

Post a Comment