Friday, February 14, 2014

Feature Friday: Jeremy Hall at the World Indoor Rowing Championship

Junior Jeremy Hall 
On Sunday morning as students across the Commonwealth will begin easing their way into a week of winter vacation, Nipmuc junior Jeremy Hall will be getting ready to put his fitness and strength to the test in a grueling competition. Jeremy will be making his way onto the campus of Boston University where he will be competing in the World Indoor Rowing Championship. Jeremy developed an interest in the sport and has benefited from the physical challenges and personal rewards of dedicating himself to his training. I had the chance to speak to him about his interest in rowing and his commitment to the sport. Jeremy's story is another example of the awesome accomplishments of our students. 

Q: How did you become interested in rowing?
A: I had always been a fan of the sport, I had watched it during the summer Olympics. My neighbor in Maine rows a single shell (a one man boat) and I saw him out there on the lake every morning. I couldn't help myself but to ask him about it. Rowing taps into about every muscle in your body as well as taking a cardiovascular toll; I wanted to challenge myself and I got more than what I asked for.  

Q: What is your training regimen?
A: While in Maine, I would row about 4500 meters every morning at a light cadence, but here in Massachusetts I row a 2000 meter workout on my erg, which mimics the properties of the stroke of a shell. It is impossible to take into account all aspects of the row, like weather and balance of the craft. 

Q: What are some of your favorite experiences with rowing? 
A: My favorite experience would have to be rowing on a Maine summer morning with the sun just rising and a layer of fog across the water. The tranquility of the moment was amazing. More recently my more memorable moments are CRASHB's 2014, and breaking my personal records on the erg. CRASHB stands for "Charles River All StarHas-Beens" since the race is not on the river, but in Boston University's Agganis Arena. This competition is the only one of its kind. People from all around the world will be coming, as of now around 2000 rowers have registered of all ages and abilities. 

Q: Do you intend to pursue rowing in college? 
A: My intention is to row in college, but it would have to be on a crew. I have never rowed on a crew but I intend on going to WPI over the summer to participate in a rowing camp in which I'll gain some experience. 

Q: What are the most challenging and rewarding aspects of the sport?
A: The most challenging aspect is undoubtedly the toll it puts on the body. I cannot think of a time where I hadn't been completely exhausted at the end of a row on the erg. The balance, form, and technicalities that go into the sport make it that much more difficult. While on the water, an error in form can flip you over easily. The sense of accomplishment you feel when you break your fastest time is like no other. You also feel the aches throughout your body, but that comes with the sport.

Thank you, Jeremy, for sharing your experience with rowing. Good luck this weekend at the CRASHB competition! 

No comments:

Post a Comment